Albany's Newest web site
The lively community of Albany near the eastern border of Livingston Parish was first developed as a railroad community. It was incorporated as a village on October 7, 1953, by proclamation of Gov. Robert F. Kennon. The town’s first officials were Mayor Grady Stewart, Aldermen B. G. Hess, Louis Bartus and Wilford Cowart, and Marshal Jessie Fletcher. The name was first officially used by the Illinois Central Railroad in 1906 when they plotted a route across Livingston Parish and announced the names of the stations on their new route. The origin of the name has several popular theories, with the most likely being that the residents wanted to name the community Natalbany because of its location along the Natalbany River. Since there was already a Natalbany (located north of Hammond), the people altered the name and came up with Albany. Albany developed as a crossroads community for the railroad and the Natalbany River, and later the crossroads of U. S. Hwy. 190 and LA Hwy. 43 (Turnpike Road). Situated on high land, it was a natural place for development. The first development near the area, however, was actually about three miles south of the present town at a sawmill community known as Maxwell, established by the Brakenridge Lumber Company in 1890.