Livingston Parish, Louisiana - Denham
Springs to Springfield - Portal
This is the spring for which Denham Springs was named.
This park is located on River Road in Denham Springs. There is a trail which leads to the spring and then to the Amite River.
Ground-water springs which some to the surface at the base of
the low- lying ridge which runs through the center of the city have figured in
the city's name since at least the 1850's. The area has been known as Amite
Springs, Hill's Springs, and Denham Springs. (1) The original land claims of
John Noblet and Alexander Hogue form what is now the older section of Denham
Springs, including the first residential and business districts. In 1828,
William Denham, a Wilkinson County, Miss. native, married Mercy Hogue, the
daughter of Alexander Hogue, and three months later purchased the 640 acres
originally claimed by his father-in-law. (2) A popular belief, supported by
previously published histories, is that William Denham discovered the mineral
springs on his property and that a health resort quickly grew up there. This
belief defies logic, however, con- sidering the number of springs which may be
found in this area even today, and the length of time that elapsed before Denham
arrived on the scene. No doubt Hogue and other early residents of the area
depended on the springs for drinking water.